This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Mortgage as an expense

bfelton

Postby bfelton » Fri May 23, 2003 6:38 am

I'm about to rent my property and I called the inland revenue, the girl on the phone implied to me that my mortgage cannot be cnosidered as an expense on my property.. does this mean that while i will be renting the property for £880 per month and my mortgage is £850 I am still liable to pay 40% tax on the £880 i receive.. surely this is not right... i thought it would be only on the profilt i receive i.e. £30... any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks

Ben Felton

DF

Postby DF » Fri May 23, 2003 7:59 am

You can deduct the mortgage interest as an expense but not any capital repayment amount.

I am surprised with the answer you got form the InRev!!

bfelton

Postby bfelton » Fri May 23, 2003 8:02 am

Thanks alot for that.. sorry to be a bit dim, but bearing in mind that i only took the mortgage out about 8 months ago.. this surely means that most of what i am repaying is interest and therefore deductable as an expense.. right???

DF

Postby DF » Tue May 27, 2003 2:10 am

probably yes. You need to check with the bank and ensure that you are only deducting interest expenses and not capital repayments.

DF

Return to “Property Taxation”