This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Exempt Share Transfers

DRS

Postby DRS » Tue Jul 15, 2003 3:46 am

If shareholders in a parent company wish to swap their shares with the shares held by the parent in a wholly owned subsidiary, is such a transaction exempt from stamp duty and, if so, do the stamp office need to be notified?

Ian McTernan CTA

Postby Ian McTernan CTA » Tue Jul 15, 2003 3:55 am

More importantly, this is a transaction in securities and you may wish to apply for clearance from the appropriate Revenue branch. Your advisers should be handling this deal for you and should be able to fully advise on this (solicitor and tax adviser or accountant).

Ian McTernan CTA
Mcternan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
ian@imcternan.com
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
Bedford
Email through link on website:
http://www.imcternan.com

paulc

Postby paulc » Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:25 am

I am not quite sure I understand what you are trying to achieve - could you clarify? Are you trying to transfer a subsidiary from the parent company to the shareholders, if so there are a number of company law issues and other tax issues as well as stamp duty. Or are you trying to insert a new holding company, in which case a stamp duty exemption may be available.

Paul

DRS

Postby DRS » Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:41 am

Replying to Paul

You are correct that I am trying to transfer a subsidiary from the parent company to the shareholders.

DRS

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”