This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

stamp duty and part-exchange

ian.shand@virgin.net

Postby ian.shand@virgin.net » Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:47 am

property £625k, owners wish to part exchange with our house on the market at £425k, difference being £200k
how do we stand wrt stamp duty? how much should be paid and be whom?
I realise this has been touched upon recently in another discussion but I would like some up to date advice please.
Thanks

Ian McTernan CTA

Postby Ian McTernan CTA » Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:58 pm

What is happening to the 200K? If this is included as part of the deal then one party is purchasing the 625K house and the other party is purchasing for 425K, so presumably stamp duty payable on these amounts. The solicitors doing the convenyancing should advise on this and you should ask them.
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
Bedford
Email through link on website:
http://www.imcternan.com

paulc

Postby paulc » Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:29 am

Providing the documentation is structured correctly, you should get away with stamp duty being paid on the £625k property only (at 4%). That is payable by the purchaser of that property. No stamp duty is payable by the purchasers of the £425k property. It is then for the purchasers to agree between themselves whether the stamp duty saved on the £425 property should be shared between them. As I say though, it is important to get the documentation right to get this treatment

Paul

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”