This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Stamp duty on AST income

snifferdog

Postby snifferdog » Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:00 am

Would stamp duty be applicable to rental income of approx £14400 pa? What is the exact situation with stamp duty and rental income?

snifferdog

Postby snifferdog » Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:01 am

Should have said this would be a furnished letting.

Ian McTernan CTA

Postby Ian McTernan CTA » Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:09 am

Stamp duty is not applicable to rental income, it is liable to income tax.
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
Bedford
Email through link on website:
http://www.imcternan.com

snifferdog

Postby snifferdog » Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:35 am

Let me rephrase my query...

I did read somewhere that a Short Tenancy Agreement is a stampable document but I am not sure of the exact conditions where this applies. In my situation, I could have rental income around £14000pa and wanted to know if this amount has any impact or is Stamp Duty applicable to all agreements. Also what are the implications of having unstamped documents eg in a dispute which goes to court.

Ian McTernan CTA

Postby Ian McTernan CTA » Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:15 pm

Sorry, the agreement is, I think, liable to the minimum stamp duty charge of 5.00! Think would be best to ask a solicitor about this and also your query re having unstamped documents...
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
Bedford
Email through link on website:
http://www.imcternan.com

paulc

Postby paulc » Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:30 am

I assume the income is coming from a single tenancy (a furnished tenancy for less than £5,000 per year is not subject to stamp duty). In that case stamp duty depends on what the fixed term element of the tenancy is. If it is less than a year, there is a fixed charge of £5. If it is a year or more, but less than seven, stamp duty is 1% of the average annual rent.
The main consequence of not stamping is that the agreement cannot be used as evidence in court proceedings.

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”