This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Stamp Duty Implications on Joint to Sole Ownership

Perfect Frod

Postby Perfect Frod » Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:19 pm

I have a house in both myself and my wifes name. We intend to put in in my sole name only. The outstanding mortgage is £167,000-00 and the value is £285,000-00. No money will change hands. What are the stamp duty implications, if any?

Ian

paulc

Postby paulc » Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:33 am

Depends on what's happening with the mortgage. Presumably it is currently a joint mortgage If your wife will still be liable for the mortgage, even though not having an interest in the property, there should be no stamp duty as it is a gift. However, if she is being released from the mortgage, you would be regarded as buying the property for the amounat of the mortgage for which she is no longer liable and stamp duty would be payable on that amount (but not the full value of the property).

Paul

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”