This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Stamp Duty - Jointly Owned Residential Property - One Getting Out

G

Postby G » Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:52 am

A situation similar to some other queries posted here, but not sufficiently so for me to be sure of the correct answer.

Consider a residential property that is owned by more than one person, perhaps because they were left it jointly in a will, or maybe because of a previous relationship.

Then suppose one of the owners wishes to be bought out so they can move off and purchase elsewhere.

Is stamp duty payable on the transaction, given that the property share is going to someone that already owns part of the property anyway ?

If it is, then is it calculated on the total value of the property, or just the share being transferred ?

What percentage / fixed rate would those involved be facing ?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ian McTernan CTA

Postby Ian McTernan CTA » Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:19 am

Stamp duty would be payable on the value transferred, and this would be determined using the value of the part being transferred as stated in the transfer deed. The rate of stamp duty would be determined by the value transferred (between 0% and 4% at present). Given enough value, there are arrangements (must be over £500K) to mitigate the stamp duty.

More importantly, CGT may be payable by the seller dependent on the circumstances.

Ian McTernan CTA
Chartered Tax Adviser
McTernan Associates Ltd
ian@imcternan.com
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
Bedford
Email through link on website:
http://www.imcternan.com

G

Postby G » Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:32 am

Thank you.

For both sets of folk I know of in this situation, I think that, since the tax would only be levied on the part being transferred, that they may not be affected by stamp duty anyway. I have passed on your advice.

The comment about CGT was interesting though. Could you outline basic on that please ? Or a link to an, 'easy to understand and find the answer you need "idiot's guide"' ?

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”