This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Transfer of Name Onto Mortgage

YPVISA

Postby YPVISA » Thu Oct 30, 2003 9:10 am

Bit of an unusual one this - here goes...

I live in a flat with my wife and have a mortgage with the woolwich in her name only. I have recently purchased a house in my name only (with Intelligent Finance). What we want to do now (having sold the flat) is to add myself to the woolwich mortgage and transfer this (to avoid a redemption penalty) to the house (and to redeem the Intelligent Finance mortgage). Is there anyway this can be done without attracting stamp duty? My wife is no longer working and will not be actually contributing financially. The mortgage will be for £140,000 so I believe I will have to pay 1% of £70,000?

Thanks in advance,

Simon

susannah.ohanlon@ntl

Postby susannah.ohanlon@ntl » Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:03 pm

Did you get any suggestions? I'm in a similar situation - the change in SDLT has taken me by surprise...

Cheers

Susannah

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”