This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Stamp duty on various purchases on one development

pioneerproperty

Postby pioneerproperty » Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:48 am

In addition to my last question:

Another deal we are working on involves us buying 6 pieces of land on the same block. However different people own the different plots.

We are buying 5 of them on option and our partners in this venture already own another plot.

We will sell as 1 development plot with outline for 100 flats. How is our stamp duty calculated?

Is it on the site as a whole at 4% or as 6 separate sites? And as all the individual sites are below £100,000 are tax exempt?

Thanks again

Garry

Ian McTernan CTA

Postby Ian McTernan CTA » Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:58 pm

This could depend on the drafting of the contracts and I suggest you seek legal advice on this point.

On the sale, I would refer you to my other answer.

Ian McTernan CTA
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
ian@imcternan.com
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
Bedford
Email through link on website:
http://www.imcternan.com

paulc

Postby paulc » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:07 am

As the sellers are different people, it will probably be treated as six different transactions. Transactions are only added together if they "form part of a single scheme, arrangement or series of transactions between the same Vendor and purchaser or in either case persons connected with them."

On the sale by you, it will be treated as a single sale.

pioneerproperty

Postby pioneerproperty » Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:33 am

Paul and Ian

Many thanks for your replies.

Youve both come up with some good points. On all my questions on here.

Ian I've emailed you - Paul are you a tax advisor too, as I'd also like to speak with you if you are.

Garry

paulc

Postby paulc » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:23 am

Garry

I'm a tax lawyer. I can be contacted on paul.christian@wardhadaway.com

Paul

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”