This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Stamp Duty payable on Transfer of Equity during separation

Troubled

Postby Troubled » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:22 am

I am separating from my partner, with whom I purchased a house, held as Joint Tenants. The value of the house is approx £900k, and the mortgage outstanding is approx £450k.

As my partner made no contribution to the bills or mortgage, I have agreed to pay her £35k in order to have her name removed from the title deeds, and from the mortgage.

How much stamp duty would I need to pay for this transfer of equity transaction?

Peter D

Postby Peter D » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:59 am

Stamp duty is based on actual remittance so £35K would not trigger that. However check with your mortgage provider that removing your partner off the mortgage does not trigger 1/2 the loan value being transferred thus SDLT. Regards Peter

section 44

Postby section 44 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:15 pm

I assume that the mortgage was in joint names such that you were both liable. By removing her name you are assuming her 'share' of the debt.

Stamp duty will be due on the aggregate of the cash (£35k) and half of the outstanding mortgage (£220k) i.e. stamp duty of £7.65k.

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”