This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

SDLT on transfer of business property to pship

msdhoni
SDLT on transfer of business property to pship

Postby msdhoni » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:48 pm

Hi All i need some advice,

i currently run my business which is a car garage and i am looking to transfer it into a partnership which includes myself and my 2 brothers. I have owned the property since 1991 and have run the business with my brothers as a partnership ever since however we are now looking to tfr this into the partnership. what sdlt and cgt issues arise?

there is no consideration payable and there is no mortgage but will i have to pay cgt? i bought the property for 200k and it has now been valued at 700k.... what stamp duty issues arise, is it payable at 4% ?

hope somebody can help!

thanks

AvocadoK

Re: SDLT on transfer of business property to pship

Postby AvocadoK » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:20 pm

Hello
There is no SDLT charge (because all the partners comprise the transferor and people connected with the transferor).
There should be no CGT charge either, as you can make a hold over claim in respect of the gain.
Regards
AK

msdhoni

Postby msdhoni » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:50 pm

Thanks AK is there a relief i need to use for this or should my solicitor be able to do the transfer ???

If i was to eventually put the property into the company would there then be stamp duty payable??

AvocadoK

Postby AvocadoK » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:08 pm

The solicitor should be able to complete any SDLT forms required.
For the capital gain, either ask an accountant to do the holdover, or search HMRC website for HS295.
On incorporating the partnership into a co, there is a further relief to avoid SDLT.

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”