This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Parents selling house to daughter - help needed

John Sheridan

Postby John Sheridan » Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:35 am

Hello all. My partner is buying her parents £325k house and is concerned about the amount of stamp duty that needs to be paid. However she is not purchasing the house outright, but paying so much off yearly (60k ish) in chunks or 'shares'.

Will this affect the stamp duty? Is there any way of reducing this amount?

Any help is appreciated,

Many thanks,

John

Arnold Aaro

Postby Arnold Aaro » Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:28 pm

Sorry, don't know the answer to this one.

However, is she doing this for Inheritance Tax purposes?

If so please let me know as there are a couple of things you/she need(s) to be aware about.

Arnold Aaron
Investment and Inheritance Tax Planner
Zurich Advice Network
e mail: arnold.aaron@zurichadvice.co.uk
Tel: 0208 437 2500

[I advise extensively on Inheritance Tax Planning, particularly Discounted Gift Trusts and Investments in general]

Taxbar

Postby Taxbar » Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:37 am

Dear John,

There's is a stamp duty issue, as this is probably a composite transaction, but there also IHT issues that have to do with tax law and not products.

You need to ask the Solicitor doing the conveyancing and then engage a tax professional.

Daniel Feingold

This communication is from
Daniel M Feingold
Barrister-at-law (NP)
Strategic Tax Planning
International & UK Tax Consultants
Treen House
72 Park Road,
Prestwich,Manchester M25 OFA
England. UK
E-mail: info@stratax.co.uk

snettergal

Postby snettergal » Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:43 pm

Hi
this is interesting ,as from reading the forum I gather a sale is made on completion no matter how payment is staggered.
Is it thus acceptable to gradually transfer ones' ownership incrementally within CGT allowances? I thought the I.R had that one covered.

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”