This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Additional Stamp Duty Refund

Bryan1000
Additional Stamp Duty Refund

Postby Bryan1000 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:14 pm

Hello,

I have a scenario that I have not yet seen covered on the forums and hope someone would be so kind as to advise me.

My wife and I own one property each that are currently let out. We also own a property we currently live in and is our main residence. Due to circumstances we are purchasing another property as our main residence and a few months later we will sell our old main residence. I understand we will have to pay the additional surcharge for second homes.

My question is if we were to sell our old main residence within the 3 year limit, will we be entitled to a refund as we have purchased a new main residence and disposed of the old. Or will the the fact we have the two rental properties mean we must sell all three properties to qualify for a refund?

Many thanks for any advice

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”