This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Second Home Stamp Duty

james05
Second Home Stamp Duty

Postby james05 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:46 am

Hello, apologies if this has been covered, but I can't seem to find the information anywhere..

I want to know if we can claim back the extra 3% stamp duty (we own a second home), we will incur on a house purchase we are making?

Our situation is -

I own a property - that we both live in (this will be sold)
My partner owns a property that is let out - under a tenancy agreement that started in August 2015
We are now purchasing a property together

We will be paying the extra stamp duty on the purchase of our new property - but we are hoping we can claim it back, once the house we are living in is sold. Would that be correct? Would it classify as changing our main residence?

Many thanks

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”