This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Married couple living and working apart with two house

CheekyMonky
Married couple living and working apart with two house

Postby CheekyMonky » Fri May 27, 2016 9:31 pm

My wife and I used to live and work in the North. 8 years ago, I was forced to take a new job in the South 300 miles away. I had to buy a home there near my work to survive, leaving my wife in the house we own in the North. Now, my wife is trying to upgrade her home by selling the old and buying a new. The house in the North is no doubt my wife's main residence, while the house in the South is my main residence. Does my wife need to pay the higher rate of stamp duty if she register the house solely under her name? The house in the South is solely registered under my name. Thanks.

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”