This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Do we pay 3% extra stamp duty for primary home?

Letsgoforit
Do we pay 3% extra stamp duty for primary home?

Postby Letsgoforit » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:48 pm

I was delighted to find this intelligent site. My answer is probably already on its pages. This briefly is our situation. My husband and I sold our home of 31 years in September 2008 and moved into our motorhome to travel the UK and further. Five years later, in 2013, we bought a property in Kent to move into. However this was not to be as my parents became ill and needed us nearby them so we rented this house out with view of moving into it . Now in 2017, the property in Kent is no longer suitable for us due to changes in our health. We therefore would consider buying second home while keeping tenants in first house to suppliment our pension. We are put off by the extra 3% in tax to pay and have some hope in thats as we are buying our primary home we could be exempt? If not we would have to sell the tenanted house or takeout equity release. We have no depends and are in late sixties. We would be very grateful for your help. Many many thanks!

section 44

Re: Do we pay 3% extra stamp duty for primary home?

Postby section 44 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:20 pm

We are put off by the extra 3% in tax to pay and have some hope in thats as we are buying our primary home we could be exempt?
It would be a second dwelling and therefore the extra 3% would apply

Letsgoforit

Postby Letsgoforit » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:17 pm

Many thanks for your reply. So it's sad but true!

maths

Postby maths » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:20 pm

The 3% should not apply if it could safely be argued that the property purchase in 2013 was not intended to be the only or main residence.
The new purchase would then be a replacement only/main residence.

Prima facie, however, this does not appear to be the situation.

Letsgoforit

Postby Letsgoforit » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:20 pm

Hi Maths! Many thanks for your reply! We were in such a muddle then. We wanted to buy our home in North Norfolk after 5 years on the road but then my parents became ill and subsequently died. During this time we bought the house I mentioned- in Kent -as property prices were rising and we were not sure what the future held re everything really. We decided before exchange of contracts that we would have to rent it out as my father had died by then. Tenants moved in 3 weeks later. We will never live in it. But the rent would be useful if we can afford 2nd house. If we have to pay so much tax we may sell this house and put money's together. We have no mortgage and I know we are very lucky. Thank you again!

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:44 pm

The 3% should not apply if it could safely be argued that the property purchase in 2013 was not intended to be the only or main residence.
The new purchase would then be a replacement only/main residence.

Prima facie, however, this does not appear to be the situation.
Does a replacement not need to be within 3 years of the disposal of the previous residence?

maths

Postby maths » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:43 am

No.

See Sch 4ZA subsections (8) and (9) applicable to land transactions effective on or before 26 Nov 2018

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”