This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Stamp duty rate

limoges
Stamp duty rate

Postby limoges » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:01 pm

I sold my primary home over 11 years ago and went to live with my divorced daughter at her home. She is about to remarry and I have decided to purchase a flat to enable the new couple to enjoy their privacy. However I already own a buy to let property which I have never lived in.
I gather from some recent posts I have read, that as I have no primary home it means that I can purchase a property as a replacement for my primary home without incurring the extra 3% stamp duty, notwithstanding the fact that I would become the owner of a second property. Is my understanding correct?

section 44

Re: Stamp duty rate

Postby section 44 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:33 am

Is my understanding correct?
No. As described you aren't replacing your home.

jayhay

Postby jayhay » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:36 pm

Limoges is merely replacing the primary home he/she sold 8 years ago, so the extra 3 % should not apply. Unless there is some sort of time limit on the sale of a primary home and the acquisition of a replacement primary home.

section 44

Postby section 44 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:25 pm

Unless there is some sort of time limit on the sale of a primary home and the acquisition of a replacement primary home.
You mean like the 3 year time limit?

maths

Postby maths » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:41 pm

If you are the sole purchaser of a property which you intend is to be your sole or main residence then the 3% SDLT charge will not apply to the purchase (assuming purchase is "completed" on or before 25 November 2018).

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”