This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

SDLT/CGT

karenjmorgan
SDLT/CGT

Postby karenjmorgan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:57 am

I have found this on a Zoopla SDLT Guide:-

"And, while it's not an exemption, it's worth noting that if you pay Capital Gains Tax on the sale profits of an additional home, you can offset the cost of the 3% Stamp Duty surcharge against your gain".
Read more at http://www.zoopla.co.uk/discover/buying ... Jw9t16K.99 (see page 12, part of the Q&A)

I can't find any more information on the HMRC Website. Can anyone tell me more please?
Thanks

karenjmorgan

Re: SDLT/CGT

Postby karenjmorgan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:42 pm

I think I may have the answer to my own question? It's only the CGT on the property on which the SDLT was charged that can be offset?

section 44

Re: SDLT/CGT

Postby section 44 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:57 pm

In calculating your gain for CGT purposes, you are entitled to deduct any SDLT incurred on your acquisition of the property. If's that's what you mean

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”