This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

SDLT for 1% Second home purchase

arij6
SDLT for 1% Second home purchase

Postby arij6 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:32 pm

Hi. Advice here will be greatly appreciated.

Scenario

Person A - Already has two residential properties
Person B - Has never owned a residential property before

They purchase a new residential property with Person A paying for and owning 1%, and Person B paying for and owning 99%.

So question is, would the stamp duty be calculated as a 1st purchase or 2nd purchase rates? This will be Person A's third purchase of a property, but they are only buying 1%.

Hope this makes sense.

maths

Re: SDLT for 1% Second home purchase

Postby maths » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:50 pm

Not a first time purchase.

someone

Postby someone » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:13 pm

But does the higher rate still apply if the share bought by person A is worth less than 40K? (I have no idea if the 40K threshold applies to the entire property value or the share bought by person A)

I'm guessing that person A needs to be on the mortgage (possibly a parent) but wants to buy a property for person B (a child)

And if that's the case, could person A own 0% rather than 1% and avoid the higher rate SDLT?

maths

Postby maths » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:34 pm

But does the higher rate still apply if the share bought by person A is worth less than 40K? (I have no idea if the 40K threshold applies to the entire property value or the share bought by person A)
It is consideration for the transaction that is in point.

And if that's the case, could person A own 0% rather than 1% and avoid the higher rate SDLT?
This is an interesting point. If A does not own any part of the beneficial interest in the purchased property (ie as you suggest 0%) then A is not a "purchaser" and the purchase in the post would then be a first time purchaser. If A and B are to be joint mortgagees and hence they are both to be on the legal title the mortgage company sometimes requires each party to have a beneficial interest (however) small.

arij6

Postby arij6 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:30 am

So to give a bit more background info

I am person A and my wife is person B. She has the funds for deposit and wants to purchase a house, the only reason we are adding my name to the deed is because she doesn't have enough income to get the mortgage that we need. Hence we thought of adding my name as a 1% owner. But now by doing this, we will have to pay the higher rate stamp duty - 17k more (property value 400k).

Can it not be argued that this is her purchase, not mine, and therefore we should pay lower stamp duty?

SDLT Geek

Postby SDLT Geek » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:56 pm

Unfortunately first time buyers' relief does not apply if the higher rates of tax (the 3% surcharged rates) apply. See the new FA03/Sch6ZA/para1(7).

Because A and B are married then even where B buys alone, the circumstances of A are relevant to whether the 3% surcharge applies. If A buying alone would have paid the surcharge then the transaction as a whole is liable to the surcharge, see FA03/Sch4ZA. A has two properties here. So it seems likely that the 3% surcharge will be due. Unless A is within the exception from the surcharge for the replacement of an only or main residence (Condition D in Sch4ZA/para3 is failed).

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”