This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Will I pay the extra stamp duty?

TRex
Will I pay the extra stamp duty?

Postby TRex » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:20 am

Hello all,

Hoping to take some guidance from you all on the back of the budget yesterday saying all first time buyers potentially may not have to pay stamp duty

Situation:

I own a buy to let property in my name. My wife and I have found our first home and are due to complete on it in 2018. My wife has no property and this will be her first, I have no residential property this will be my first.

(The residential property we are buying is £316,000)

Are we liable for stamp duty? What would the amount be?

Thanks

maths

Re: Will I pay the extra stamp duty?

Postby maths » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:30 pm

A quick look at the Budget shows that you would be liable to the SDLT 3% "surcharge". You are not a so-called "first time buyer".

SDLT £15,280.

Others may have digested the Budget changes re the SDLT changes more carefully than me.

bd6759

Re: Will I pay the extra stamp duty?

Postby bd6759 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:04 pm

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... 2017-brief
The definition of a first-time buyer for this relief is in line with the definition for previous
reliefs. A first-time buyer is someone who has never owned freehold or leasehold interest in a
dwelling before and who is purchasing their only or main residence. Residential property
anywhere in the world is counted when determining whether someone is a first-time buyer.
Where there are joint purchasers, all purchasers would need to be first-time buyers.

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”