This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Legal Charge = ownership for SDLT purposes?

SwedenCL
Legal Charge = ownership for SDLT purposes?

Postby SwedenCL » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:01 pm

Hi,

I am going trough a divorce and have agreed to help my ex buy a new house. She will hold title to the house and I will have a legal charge against 60% of it. If I end up buying a home for myself while I hold that charge, will I be subject to the 3% additional SDLT or is the charge not considered ownership and thus my own purchase won't be considered a second property?

Thank you in advance.

bd6759

Re: Legal Charge = ownership for SDLT purposes?

Postby bd6759 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:50 pm

If the charge gives you a beneficial interest in 60% of the property, that would be a major interest, leaving you liable to the addtional 3%.

However you will not liable if you replace a residecne. If you currently own the house you live in, you will not be liable to the 3% if you sell that and buy another residence

SwedenCL

Re: Legal Charge = ownership for SDLT purposes?

Postby SwedenCL » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:41 pm

Thank you for your response!

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”