This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Higher Rate SDLT or Not

ace
Higher Rate SDLT or Not

Postby ace » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:17 pm

Hello,

My wife and I live with family and its been this way for 15+years. Our names are not on the title deeds of the property we currently live in, however, we have treated this as our main residence as evidenced by electoral roll, doctors address, car insurance, kids school etc. My wife and I, would like to buy a house together as our main residence for around £650k. We do have some properties in our names that are let out (value greater than £40k each) and have not stayed in these let out properties ourselves. Advice to date from mortgage brokers and solicitors varies on whether we have to pay the additional 3% SDLT on the purchase of our new home. Appreciate any clarity you can provide. Thank you in advance.

maths

Re: Higher Rate SDLT or Not

Postby maths » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:44 pm

Payable. Assume you have never owned a property in which you have lived.

ace

Postby ace » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:14 pm

Hi Maths,

Thanks for the reply and clarity. Assumption is correct. Would you be kind enough to provide a brief rationale?

Thank You

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:00 pm

On the day of the transaction:

a) you will own more than one property

b) you have not disposed of a material interest in a property that was you main residence.

If you held a material interest in your main residnece and disposed of it, you would be fine.

Sch 4ZA FA 2003 … http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2016/24/section/128

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”