This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

remortgaging BTL change of equity and SDLT

psingh
remortgaging BTL change of equity and SDLT

Postby psingh » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:53 pm

Hi
I am in the process of remortgaging a BTL property which is owned by my wife. The property at the moment has a £115,000 mortgage on it and i am looking to remortgage this to £260,000.I am also looking to change the equity so that i am made 50% owner as well. We also have other BTL properties and a main residence . I would like to know how much stamp duty i will be liable if i follow this through . I have had several different professional people tell me different things. Can someone please clarify what duty i would have to pay

someone

Re: remortgaging BTL change of equity and SDLT

Postby someone » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:45 am

None :-)

Provided your wife doesn't increase the mortgage first and then do a transfer of equity.

SDLT will be assessed on the debt you are assuming from her - which is half the outstanding mortgage or c60k. The fact that you are increasing the borrowing doesn't matter, it's the amount that your wife is no longer liable for that matters and that's half the original amount.

No SDLT on first 125k

H&W transfers are exempt from the 3% surcharge (since 22 Nov 2017 IIRC)

psingh

Re: remortgaging BTL change of equity and SDLT

Postby psingh » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:14 am

Thank you for your prompt reply

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”