This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

LTD company SDLT Charge on existing property for BTL Mortgage

david1234
LTD company SDLT Charge on existing property for BTL Mortgage

Postby david1234 » Tue May 21, 2019 10:39 am

Dear Sirs,

I have a query and appreciate some clear advise if you would be so kind.

My company deals in construction of new homes (residential) in england, the company purchased a parcel of land and built 50% of a new build property (£180k incl land) with its own funds, then applied for a development finance which was approved to complete the build (£170k incl interest), once the build was completed it then re-financed (remortgage) against the property 34% LTV with a business bridging package (£230k) to pay off the first lender (development finance) and release some equity back into the company. Now the company is looking to take out a 25 Yr BTL mortgage against the same property to clear its "Bridge loan" and allow the purchase of another project (development land) to commence with the remaining funds left over from the BTLM.

The property open market value is £695k
Proposed rental Annum £24k

As the company has always been the same owner of the above asset, would it be exempt from SDLT charges as the company does not currently own any other properties.

Thank you for any advice given.

David

SDLT Geek

Re: LTD company SDLT Charge on existing property for BTL Mortgage

Postby SDLT Geek » Tue May 21, 2019 7:48 pm

SDLT will be due on the purchase of the next development site.

There should be no more SDLT due on the existing property the company owns; the remortgage transactions do not attract SDLT.

david1234

Re: LTD company SDLT Charge on existing property for BTL Mortgage

Postby david1234 » Wed May 22, 2019 5:10 am

Thank you SDLT Geek for your confirmation response to our initial thoughts i will pass this onto the solicitors as i think they just added the charge to cover there backs so to speak.

Regards David

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”