This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

SDLT Surcharge Query

Raj123
SDLT Surcharge Query

Postby Raj123 » Thu May 23, 2019 6:44 pm

Hi All,

I am currently in the process of buying my first flat in UK, i have a small one bed property in India that i had purchased last year for 25k, My queries are below
1) As the flat i own is less than £40k will i be exempted from the additional 3% surcharge.
2) If the above answer is yes will i fall under the same SDLT category as what first time buyers pays?

Also is there any documents required to show HMRC with regards to my flat in India.

Many Thanks in Advance

SDLT Geek

Re: SDLT Surcharge Query

Postby SDLT Geek » Thu May 23, 2019 8:13 pm

If the flat in India is worth under £40,000 now then the extra 3% SDLT is not due on your purchase in England, but you will not qualify for first time buyers’ relief.

No documents about the Indian flat need to be sent to HMRC unless and until they ask for them.

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”