This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Higher Rate Reclaim

jonm83
Higher Rate Reclaim

Postby jonm83 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:38 am

Hi all,

I have an interesting scenario that i would like your thoughts on.

I purchased a new home along with my girlfriend (now fiancee) in August 16. We lived separately before that time and both owned our respective homes. I sold my existing home to fund the purchase of the new property, but she kept hers as a BTL. We therefore had to pay the additional SDLT surcharge on our new home.

The plan was always to sell the BTL before the 3 years and reclaim the additional SDLT, however the market is very slow at the moment and (with 2 months to go until the 3 year deadline) it doesn't look like it is going to sell in time.

I am considering purchasing her BTL in my sole name. I would obviously have to pay the 3% surcharge, but i am hoping this would then mean we are eligible for a refund of the surcharge on our main property as she would have disposed of her former property. The difference between the surcharge I would have to pay to purchase the BTL, and the refund we would be due on our main home is over £10k so not insignificant.

Do you see any issues with this?

Note: this will need to complete in August, and we don't get married until September.

Kind Regards
Jon

pawncob

Re: Higher Rate Reclaim

Postby pawncob » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:26 pm

On the face of it, there's no reason why not, but it may be that HMRC claim that it's a linked purchase.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/sdlt-linked-purchases-or-transfers
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”