This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Potential for 3% surcharge on property with annex

avixi
Potential for 3% surcharge on property with annex

Postby avixi » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:39 am

Hello

I am interested in buying a property which has been extended to include a second kitchen and enough space that it could conceivably be described as a having a separate, self contained unit (annex).

It is currently classified as a single house with one tax band but there is an improvement indicator on the property.

So my question is at what point in the buying process will the VOA reassess the property, and would stamp duty be calculated on the overall property as it is currently banded or will it be calculated based on a new assessment from the VOA? Can they come after more stamp duty post sale?

I understand that if it did get classified as an annex and it were valued at less than 1/3 of the total value it would be exempt anyway. But worst case scenario there is potential for it to be more over which could mean a 20k extra bill.

Thanks for your help.

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”