This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Are we FTBs? previously named on mortgage, no beneficial interest - help please!

123sarah100
Are we FTBs? previously named on mortgage, no beneficial interest - help please!

Postby 123sarah100 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:55 pm

Hi - any advice really appreciated...

I am in the process of purchasing a house with my partner, J.

I'm definitely a FTB, however J was named on his brother G's mortgage when G separated from his partner approx 15 years ago, so to help him meet affordability criteria. J never lived there, contributed to the mortgage, or had any involvement when that house was later sold. A message from solicitor (family friend, now retired) says 'you were joint owners of legal estate and recorded as joint proprietors at the land registry, however as far as I recall G owned the entire beneficial interest and the net sale proceeds were applied towards his next purchase'.

We're trying to find out if J will count as a FTB for SDLT purposes.

Our questions are:

- do we need written proof of J having no beneficial interest, and if so what would that be? G says he has no paperwork relating to that house... however he still lives in the next house he moved into and is with the same mortgage lender.
- if J had no beneficial interest, does that mean we won't need to pay SDLT?

Thank you so much!

SDLT Geek

Re: Are we FTBs? previously named on mortgage, no beneficial interest - help please!

Postby SDLT Geek » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:20 pm

If J has no beneficial interest in G’s house then he should still be able to qualify as a first time buyer.

You should be able to get a copy of the transfer of the property to J and G from the Land Registry. If you are lucky that will confirm that it was held on trust for G alone.

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”