This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Higher rate SDLT

hoss86
Higher rate SDLT

Postby hoss86 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:25 am

Hi,

I was wondering if people have had experience with this situation as I am not too clear from the Gov.UK website or other places I have searched.

I own 75% of a BTL with my brother, and my value of this is >£40k. I have never lived in this house and have previously lived with family/rented accom.

I plan to buy a house to live in, but ideally want to retain the BTL. As I have never lived in the BTL, am i still eligible for the higher rate SDLT as I will own more than 1 residential property after i purchase the new property? Although I fulfill this requirement, another requirement for the higher SDLT that the Gov.UK dictates what you do with your previous main home - of which I do not have...? So does this mean it is still applicable?

I initially assumed it would still apply and I would need to pay the extra SDLT, but have spoken to someone who was told the opposite by someone who deals with property. Many thanks in advance for any thoughts.

jerome.lane

Re: Higher rate SDLT

Postby jerome.lane » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:53 am

The rules catch you so you are liable to the higher rate SDLT unless you are replacing your main home or have disposed of a main home in the previous 3 years. If you transferred your share in the BTL property to a company, you would not own another home so you would not have to pay the extra 3%. However, company ownership means accounts, time and costs. Depending on the income tax position of the owners, finance costs and long term intentions, incorporation could be an option which works.
Jerome Lane
Tax Adviser
Telephone: 07943 005902

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”