This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

SDLT and shares in French "SCI"

valere24
SDLT and shares in French "SCI"

Postby valere24 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:14 pm

Hi,

I know it's been mentioned before in this forum, but I do not seem to have found a definitive answer.

I have never owned property before but holds 50% share in a French SCI that owns 2 properties. My parents benefit from the usufruct of the properties until their death.

What is my SDLT status: first time buyer, standard, or subject to the higher rate?

I have strong indication from what I've read so far that I should be OK and benefit from first time buyer relief. What should I do? Do I need to get some professional advice in writing and pass it on to HMRC? Or just go ahead without mentioning the SCI shares to HMRC?

Thanks,

V.

AGoodman

Re: SDLT and shares in French "SCI"

Postby AGoodman » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:18 pm

I'd take the view that you're fine. The SCI is a company and (for what it is worth) HMRC's published view is that it is an opaque entity (so more company-like than partnership-like).

You do not therefore have any interest in property.

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”