This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Divorce and first time buyer status

Mjward
Divorce and first time buyer status

Postby Mjward » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:04 am

I bought my property in 2011 and I am only person listed on the deeds. I married in 2014 with my wife never having owned a property nor did we then add her to deeds. We are now in the process of an amicable divorce and I'm trying to be as helpful as I can.

In the situation above, post divorce, if she was to buy her own property to live in, how would she be treated from a stamp duty perspective?

pawncob

Re: Divorce and first time buyer status

Postby pawncob » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:24 pm

AS she has never owned a property she must be a first time buyer. (occupation and ownership are two different things)
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Mjward

Postby Mjward » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:34 pm

Ah that is great.
I was confused as to whether via the marriage and implicit share of my property that it would mean she would not be viewed as a first time buyer.
I take it this only applies post divorce ie if I try and help her buy a place in her sole name whilst we are still technically married/waiting for divorce to be finalised, then she would not count as first time buyer or is she regardless of the marriage status?

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:05 pm

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/stamp-duty-land-tax-relief-for-first-time-buyers-guidance-note

Mjward

Postby Mjward » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:41 pm

Thanks for the link, one I've read before and perhaps missing something but doesn't seem to clearly cover this scenario.

If we take the following relevant Q&A...

Q6 refers to joint purchasers and spouse previously owning dwelling.

However I'm looking at my soon to be ex wife solely making the purchase of a new place and not jointly

Q11 refers to previous joint purchase and then divorce.

However we didn't make a joint purchase of original property.

In essence I am looking to know that if I am legal sole owner of our marital home, can my wife in her sole name purchase a property to be her primary residence and benefit from relief?

Or do we need to wait for divorce proceedings to conclude?

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:08 pm

Although marriage may give your spouse certain property rights, she does not own the property. Any divorce settlement may give her the property or a cash settlement, but as of now she would be a first time buyer.

Mjward

Postby Mjward » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:19 pm

Very helpful. Thank you sir

SDLT Geek

Postby SDLT Geek » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:02 pm

If a person buys a property when they have a spouse, then whether or not the 3% surcharge applies can depend on whether the 3% surcharge would have applied had the spouse bought.

But that rule only applies to spouses who are “living together”. Spouses are not “living together” if they are separated in circumstances likely to prove permanent.

Mjward

Postby Mjward » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:23 am

Thank you for your assistance.

Sounds like that is what works for my current predicament ie currently married but not living together and won't be going forward ie she is free to purchase s property now as a first time buyer.

From what I read, it's difficult to tell if she will purchase as simple first time buyer or whether she claims the extra costs back post transaction. In the case of the former, without the current ownership of a divorce certificate, what proof of circumstances is required?

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”