This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

When is the 'tax point' for stamp duty?

KeyFutures
When is the 'tax point' for stamp duty?

Postby KeyFutures » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:44 pm

I am in the process of buying both a buy to let and my main residence. I am currently in rented accommodation having sold my main residence in August last year.

The plan was to buy the buy-to-let first, which as I own no other property would not attract the higher rate of stamp duty, then to buy the main residence, which as it was replacing my previous main residence within three years of it's sale would not attract the higher rate of stamp duty.

However, the ideal property for my main residence came available at a knock down price so I have initiated the purchase of both properties.

My question is, at what point will HMRC recognise the purchase of a property? Is it when contracts have been exchanged, or is it upon completion?

I need to make sure that the buy-to-let reaches that point before the main residence.

Or have I misunderstood completely?

Thanks

AGoodman

Re: When is the 'tax point' for stamp duty?

Postby AGoodman » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:37 pm

These particular tests (second+ properties) are applied on the day of completion.

There are anti-avoidance provisions which can bring this forwards if the buyer takes possession or pays a substantial part of the purchase price before completion.

Look at Finance Act 2003 s.44 for the "effective date".

jerome.lane

Postby jerome.lane » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:16 pm

The purchase date is usually taken to be on completion or when there is "substantial performance".

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/stamp-duty-land-tax-manual/sdltm07700

Completing the buy to let purchase first ahead of the main residence should mean no additional rate of SDLT, based on the facts provided.

It is difficult to see HMRC applying the general anti avoidance provisions which apply to SDLT although stranger things have happened...
Jerome Lane
Tax Adviser
Telephone: 07943 005902

KeyFutures

Postby KeyFutures » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:53 pm

Mr A Goodman and Jerome Lane, thanks for the replies, useful information.

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”