This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

SDLT

ChetanP
SDLT

Postby ChetanP » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:16 am

A limited company, ABC Ltd has 2 directors and they are also the 2 shareholders. These 2 persons are brothers.

These 2 brothers also have a B2L property that they own equally.
There is no partnership agreement on this ownership and they do not file a partnership tax return
The rental profits are shown on their TR form.

They want to transfer this B2L property into ABC Ltd.
Capital gains is not a problem as there is none.
Question – is SDLT payable on such a transfer?

NB:
• The owners remain the same before and after such a transfer ie there is no one else in this transaction.
• There is no mortgage on this B2L property

I would appreciate any opinions on such a transfer.

jerome.lane

Re: SDLT

Postby jerome.lane » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:01 am

The quick answer is that SDLT appears to be due. It really is down to the substance of the activity in managing the property as to whether a business exists and SDLT reliefs could apply for the transfer to a company. Clearance can be sought from HMRC although one property partnerships are less likely to be successful. If ABC LTD is trading and VAT registered, partial exemption may become a nuisance and the shareholders should consider whether they would be losing business asset disposal relief in the future.
Jerome Lane
Tax Adviser
Telephone: 07943 005902

ChetanP

Postby ChetanP » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:04 pm

Hi Jereme,
Thank you for your reply.
I don't think it will qualify as a "business".
Clearance - I thought that this was not available. I would be grateful if you can confirm this, please.
VAT - The company is not VAT registered and so PE is not an issue.

jerome.lane

Postby jerome.lane » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:44 pm

Clearance is possible - I’ve done this for clients over 200 times now over the years ✌🏽
Jerome Lane
Tax Adviser
Telephone: 07943 005902

ChetanP

Postby ChetanP » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:18 pm

Thank you. Really appreciated.

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”