This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Stamp duty land

fg1
Stamp duty land

Postby fg1 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:58 pm

Hi, new to this so apologies if incorrect terminology. I am close to buying a plot of land to build a self build property. The land already has infrastructure for the build and the land was once a garden of a property. Am I entitled to receive the stamp duty holiday reduction? I read a lot of documents and internet sites and nothing seems to help.

SDLT Geek

Re: Stamp duty land

Postby SDLT Geek » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:06 pm

It depends on whether the land counts as residential (the temporary reduced rates should apply) or as non residential land (when a different set of rates applies).

I would expect it to count as residential if you are buying the garden land from the owner of the house from which it is separated. HMRC guidance however indicates that if you are buying it from someone else, for example a developer who previously bought the garden land from the owner of the house with which it went, then your acquisition is of non-residential property.

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”