This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Stamp Duty Refund Query

Jobimon
Stamp Duty Refund Query

Postby Jobimon » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:59 am

We (my wife and myself) bought a second home recently as our main residence and paid the extra stamp duty (around £20K) for the second home. We are thinking of setting up a Ltd Company and buy our old main property as buy-to-let under the company. We both will be listed as directors in the company. Once the transaction is complete, would it be possible to apply for a stamp duty refund? Technically, we as individuals will only own one home and that will be our main residential property and the old first home will be sold to another 'entity'. The amount we are expected to claim is over £20k as we paid around £43k in stamp duty for the now main residence. Any relevant advise would be appreciated.

Regards,
JM

jerome.lane

Re: Stamp Duty Refund Query

Postby jerome.lane » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:51 am

You should be able to reclaim the higher rate SDLT paid on your new main home if old one is sold within 3 years. If you need specific advice, feel free to contact me.
Jerome Lane
Tax Adviser
Telephone: 07943 005902

bd6759

Re: Stamp Duty Refund Query

Postby bd6759 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:57 pm

Don’t forget that the company will pay SDLT on the value of the old property. This will include the 3% surcharge.

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”