This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

SDLT surcharge on BTL if only dwelling owned

WillCo
SDLT surcharge on BTL if only dwelling owned

Postby WillCo » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:18 pm

I’m living with my girlfriend in her house. If I bought a buy to let on my own, could I elect to pay the 3% SDLT surcharge on it although it would be the only property I owned? The rationale would be that we may not have to pay the surcharge if later, my partner sold her property and we jointly bought a higher value property as our main residence?

SDLT Geek

Re: SDLT surcharge on BTL if only dwelling owned

Postby SDLT Geek » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:17 pm

No, this does not work if you buy personally. If you chose to overpay SDLT on your first purchase, that does not improve your position when you buy a second.

If your company buys the investment property, then it pays the extra 3%, leaving you without a property until you buy a home. Does that help?

Are you planning to be married or civil partners by the time of your girlfriend’s sale? If so, the extra 3% might not be due anyway, even with you personally owning the investment property.

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”