This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Sdlt calculation help

Nicklam
Sdlt calculation help

Postby Nicklam » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:45 pm

Me and my father live in house together, we own as tenants in common. In 2016 he transfered a share of the house to me as a gift . The total of the house in 2016 was worth 400k, so in effect my share was then worth 200k. There is no mortgage.

The house has now been valued at 520k, and I'm going to buy his half share out at half the price of 260k. How would stamp duty be worked out if its done after the stamp duty freeze? How much would I owe?
I will also be taking out a mortgage to help in buying his share out.
Neither of us have any other properties, and he will be moving out to buy another place.

maths

Re: Sdlt calculation help

Postby maths » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:48 pm

SDLT charge is based on consideration; in your case 260k.

Mortgage you take out is irrelevant to this aspect.

I do not think you qualify as a first time buyer (as you have already acquired a 50% interest in a property albeit by gift).

Nevertheless, once all the temporary SDLT holiday reliefs cease SDLT is payable at [2% x 125k] plus [5% x 10k] ie 3,000.

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”