This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Additional Stamp based on Mortgage Finance used

HM.C&R
Additional Stamp based on Mortgage Finance used

Postby HM.C&R » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:01 pm

I sold my main residence earlier in the year and hold no main residences of my own or jointly or rented Uk/O/seas.

Looking at a new long term main residence place with maybe Airbnb/ holiday let option for when i am away for seasonal periods and so would get a FHL mortgage on it to be compliant.

Will the type of mortgage used ( regardless of 2nd property matters) therefore indicate it is available for let and so Additional Higher Rate stamp applies .
I am cognisant that the FHL mortgages allow 90 days owner occupation, imagining this is to be compliant with the wider FHL income tax rules.

Who actually executes the stamp classification, is it the conveyancer who is cognisant of the type of finance used ?

thanks

AGoodman

Re: Additional Stamp based on Mortgage Finance used

Postby AGoodman » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:02 am

Just to be clear, you've said you don't have any main residences. Do you have any property? (as presumably that is your concern)

HM.C&R

Postby HM.C&R » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:29 am

That is correct no property owned.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:52 pm

If you will only own one dwelling at the end of the day, you are not liable to the additional rate. It doesn’t matter what it is used for. You need to own more than one before we need to consider the additional rate.

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”