This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

SDLT on gifted property, pay off mortgage?

smiley111
SDLT on gifted property, pay off mortgage?

Postby smiley111 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:32 pm

Hi

I've read numerous threads but none seem to answer my specific situation, hence I'd be grateful if anyone can advise me here.

I'm gifting 50% of a property to my brother, Property value is £230k, Current Mortgage is £160k, I realise my brother will pay SDLT at 3% (due to this being a second property for him) on 50% of the current mortgage outstanding amount as it stands.

We have a re-mortgage offer in place in our Joint names.

my question is: If I pay off the outstanding mortgage prior to the transfer, due to it being a gift there will be no SDLT, however if I also subsequently re-mortgage for £160k all at the same time will SDLT become chargeable? and then secondly, If I made the re-mortgage a separate transaction, say a week after, then I assume that I would avoid any SDLT charge? ( solicitor says SDLT is paid on the existing mortgage redemption statement irrespective of any future mortgage)

I realise the gifted amount changes substantially and I also have CGT implications, but it's this one specific point on the SDLT that I'm struggling to be 100% clear on.

Thanks

bd6759

Re: SDLT on gifted property, pay off mortgage?

Postby bd6759 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:49 pm

I think para 1A of Schedule 4 to Finance Act 2003 will apply.
A debt immediately before and after the transaction is treated as an assumption.

smiley111

Re: SDLT on gifted property, pay off mortgage?

Postby smiley111 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:30 pm

Hi

Thanks, I think I'll keep it straightforward, keep the mortgage and just pay the relevant stamp duty rather than trying to get clever and land in trouble...

Thanks

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”