This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Stamp duty not married

Pixie1690
Stamp duty not married

Postby Pixie1690 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:41 pm

So the situation is I already own a house which i bought in 2013. I plan to keep this house as a weekend home as it is in a coastal area
Me and my girlfriend do not live together but plan to at a later date.
She is planning to buy a house and has had an offer accepted. We plan this will be our family home
As a first time buyer she has no stamp duty to pay.

The plan is after she buys it I will move in but not right away, maybe a few months later.

I would plan to help with the cost of bills, mortgage etc but not be added to the mortgage.

Would there be any additional stamp duty if i were to move in and help pay bills/ mortgage.

Obviously if we bought this house jointly she would lose her first time buyer status, and we would also incur a second home stamp duty on top of that.

So what we are doing is she will buy first, i will move after and prob marry sometime after that.

Can anyone see any issue with that.
Also would there be a problem with me transferring her money into her account on a regular basis after she has bought the house.

Any advice appreciated.
Thanks

pawncob

Re: Stamp duty not married

Postby pawncob » Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:47 pm

If the house is in her name, no problem.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

bd6759

Re: Stamp duty not married

Postby bd6759 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:25 am

Agreed. There is no problem with what you propose. SDLT is only paid if/when you acquire an interest in land or property. If have no interest in the property your girlfriend purchases, you will have no effect on the SDLT she will pay.

SDLT would be payable if you subsequently acquired an interest: such as the house being put in your joint names.

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”