This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

SDLT Sanity Check!

DtheRed
SDLT Sanity Check!

Postby DtheRed » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:52 pm

Hi,

I would be grateful if I could just run my thinking on SDLT to ensure I get it right.

My wife owns 2 properties. The first is our home (hers) and the second is a BTL she owns jointly with her father (50% each) as tenants in common. I am looking to buy my father-in-law's 50% share in the BTL flat for £125,000. So as I understand it:

1) As my wife already owns property, it is irrelevant that I do not own anything and that the 3% SDLT will still apply to the full value (£3,750).
2) I have to pay the SDLT within 2 weeks of legal transfer and not land registry registration.
3) I must fill SDLT1 as the transfer is from my father-in-law to me only. (However, I wanted to be sure that the transfer did not require SDLT2 (i.e. was not (my wife + my Father in law) to (my wife + me) as it would be recorded in the land registry?)

The point I am most sketchy about is 3 and what form to use.

Appreciate any corrections or confirmations!

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”