This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Scotland SDLT with partial inheritance

Bearymcbearface
Scotland SDLT with partial inheritance

Postby Bearymcbearface » Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:57 pm

I live in England and have done for 20 years although I am originally from Scotland where my mother still lives. My father died 5 years ago and left me his 50% share is in the house which he shared with my mother and where she continues to live . I'm up and down regularly she struggles with her health and I'm considering moving back to Scotland to support her, but I need to understand how the 50% inheritance of a secondary house will impact SDLT My current house in England is worth about 350k and my mother's flat in Scotland is worth about 140k.

if I sell my house in England I'd temporarily move in with my mother while househunting and I need to know whether I'll be seen as a second home owner and therefore have to pay this enhanced tax in Scotland

There's a possibility she'll move into sheltered housing, but in that case we'd still keep the house as I would need somewhere to stay while coming up to support her. I'd take over her flats bills/ council tax completely and again use it as a base while giving support although potentially selling both houses giving the 50% to my mother . I'd then buy another in Scotland and here assume no enhanced land tax as I would have paid CGT on the house profit.

Is either scenario better for me from a tax perspective.?

Also, Although unlikely I'd like to understand if I would be liable for enhanced SDLT if move within England with mother continuing to live in her home , or me using it to allow me to support her.

I have heard that owning 50% means you don't pay the enhanced tax, but find the Scotland England scenario more confusing.

Can anyone help please.

bd6759

Re: Scotland SDLT with partial inheritance

Postby bd6759 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:00 pm

You do not pay enhanced SDLT or LBTT if you are replacing your residence, no matter how many properties you own.

Bearymcbearface

Re: Scotland SDLT with partial inheritance

Postby Bearymcbearface » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:51 pm

Ooh that's great news. Thank you

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”