This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Stamp Duty - Unmarried Separation

andyk74
Stamp Duty - Unmarried Separation

Postby andyk74 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:42 pm

Hi,

My partner and I have separated.

It has been agreed that I will buy out her interest in our joint owned property.

I will be paying her lump sum on transfer. We also have a joint mortgage - this is being settled by a gift from my family - so technically my partner is being released from her 1/2 share of the mortgage.

If we paid the mortgage off before the property was transferred would this give rise to a charge for stamp duty?

There would then be a subsequent transfer of the property with the lump sum payment to my partner that I understand would give rise to a charge for stamp duty. But if we pay the mortgage off prior to transfer do we avoid the charge to stamp duty on her 1/2 share of the mortgage that would have been paid off?

Many thanks

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”