This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

SDLT first time buyer tax relief with bare ownership at Spain

SDLT
SDLT first time buyer tax relief with bare ownership at Spain

Postby SDLT » Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:49 pm

Hello,

First of all thank you for reading me.

I am in the process of buying a house in the UK, my first home ever. Let me further clarify the situation.

UK: buying my first property ever. It will be my only property.

Spain: I only posses some shares with remainder interest on a property while my father has the life interest. I have no right to rent it, sell it, or do anything with it. My father has the right to live, enjoy, rent the property, sell his rights until the event of this death. This is known as "nuda propiedad" under Spanish civil law. The situation is very similar to the one of Antonio's case here (pages 6 and 7):

https://www.blakemorgan.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Downloads/Stamp-Duty-Land-Tax-First-Time-Buyers-Relief-29052019.pdf

I saw too this previous response on this forum which seems similar to mine: https://www.taxationweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=55371&p=203213&hilit=bare+ownership#p203213

My questions are, would I likely qualify for the first time buyers SDLT tax relief too?
Would I need to provide any specific letter supporting my SLDT application?
Is yes, is there an expert around here willing to prepare such letter for me (of course I can provide compensation if needed)?

Thanks in advance,
Juan

mara_

Re: SDLT first time buyer tax relief with bare ownership at Spain

Postby mara_ » Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:19 pm

Hello Juan,

Have you been able to get some clarity on this? I’m in a similar situation and I would really appreciate if you or someone else could shed some light on this.

Many thanks in advance!

srich126

Re: SDLT first time buyer tax relief with bare ownership at Spain

Postby srich126 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:45 pm

Hello Juan and Mara,
Have either of you been able to get some clarity on this? We are in a similar situation and I would really appreciate if you or someone else could shed some light on this.

Many thanks in advance!

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”