This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Stamp Duty on Taking over Parents Mortgage

penal20

Postby penal20 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:06 am

Hi,

I live with my parents and recently we've discussed me taking over the mortgage and becoming the owner of the property. They have an outstanding mortgage of £93k (approx) and the value of the property is probably somewhere between £250k - £300k.

If I arrange a my own mortage, have a solicitor pay off theres and transfer ownership to me, am I liable for stamp duty?

Thanks!

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:14 am

You appear to be "paying" £93,000 for your parents property?

If so, this below the SDLT threshold.

The gift of the balance ( ~ £210,000) could have IHT implications for your parents.

If this is a device for avoiding Residential Care fees, it may not be effective.

JasonButcher

Postby JasonButcher » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:02 am

King Maker,

If this was a device for avoiding IHT say - would that be a sufficient enough reason to avoid the residential care fees ?

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”