This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

VAT Margin Scheme

Glenn

Postby Glenn » Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:06 am

Please direct me to a full explanation of the VAT Margin Scheme.

peter@lavat.co.uk

Postby peter@lavat.co.uk » Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:20 am

Glenn

Are you interested in margin schemes or the flat-rate scheme for small businesses?

Detailed information on margin schemes can be found in Customs and Excise Notice 718 - http://www.hmce.gov.uk/forms/graphics/718.pdf

Details of the flat-rate scheme are in Notice 733 - http://www.hmce.gov.uk/forms/graphics/733.pdf

Do be careful if you are considering the flat-rate scheme because, depending on the circumstances, it can be an expensive option.

Kind regards

Peter Gladdish
www.lavat.co.uk

Kobayashi

Postby Kobayashi » Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:32 pm

Hello Peter
Your last line caught my eye as I'm looking into various schemes to see if they might be beneficial to my business. I own an Internet Cafe and have gone through the list of businessÂ’s that are eligible for the FRS on the hmce.gov website but Internet Cafes aren't listed. I phoned them but they couldn't help apart from saying that I could write to them explaining my problem? I have completed a couple of VAT returns and because of the overheads in setting up the cafe, the returns haven't been too bad but now that it's set up my turnover is considerably more than my outgoings (vending machine stock) and I can see a large VAT bill on the horizon. In going through the PDF doc that you recommended I came across the "Retail scheme" which I recall asking my accountant about many month's ago, I believe his reply was "yes, that might be good for you" but I never heard any more.
Any thoughts on what might be my best option?
Regards
Gary

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”