This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Loans between a group of companies

D11ART

Postby D11ART » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:42 am

I have a group of companies where the parent company is dormant trading and not registered for VAT. There are 4 subsidary companies and all are trading and separately registered for VAT.

If one of the companies within the group make a loan to another of the companies within the group, is the transaction of either making the loan or repaying the loan within the scope of VAT ?

I have always thought that such transactions are not within the scope and therefore neither of the companies are subject to output or input VAT.

I would welcome any comments on this please.

Many thanks in advance.

Darren

spidersong

Postby spidersong » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:59 am

Assuming that the loan is made in the course of business then it is within the scope of VAT but is exempt from VAT under Group 5 of Schedule 9 VAT Act 1994.

So there is neither Output Tax nor Input Tax on the loan itself. However if one of the companies makes a habit of making loans then it will fall to be partially exempt and may face restrictions on the tax it can recover especially in relation to direct costs such as any solicitors fees to do with the loan etc.

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:07 am

Loans within the group are not in the course of business, so they are outside the scope of VAT.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”