This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

VAT registration after deregistration

jooles

Postby jooles » Mon May 12, 2008 10:43 am

I own a busy beauty salon which was deregistered last August in good faith due to falling sales. A competitor closed down in Jan 08 and now my sales are approaching the current limit and I am worried that my reregistration in under 1 year may make me liable for VAT in the past 9 months.
Any advice would be welcome
Many Thanks
Jooles

taxattack

Postby taxattack » Mon May 12, 2008 12:22 pm

Jooles
Shouldn't be a problem assuming, as you say, the deregistration was based on reasonable assumptions, and you can demonstrate an uplift in turnover which coincides with the closure of the competitor.
Make sure you keep any evidence of the closure to support your case if necessary.
Regards
chris@ taxattack.co.uk

spidersong

Postby spidersong » Tue May 13, 2008 1:49 am

I'll just add my voice to that of Chris.

I've managed HMRC Registration/Deregistration teams, and if they dereg'd you on reduced turnover grounds it was because they had sufficient information to demonstrate that your turnover would continue below the limit. As long as the info you gave at the point of dereg was accurate then there's no need to worry about them either cancelling the deregistration or insisting on registration from the point of dereg.

Hope this helps.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”