This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

"this is not a VAT invoice" - why?

MikeR371
"this is not a VAT invoice" - why?

Postby MikeR371 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:55 pm

I ordered some goods from Tesco Direct. They arrived with a receipt that says "please keep this invoice as your proof of purchase". It has all the details you'd expect, but it says at the bottom "please note: this is not a VAT invoice". As I understand it, I can request a VAT invoice from Tesco and they must provide one. But why would the one sent with the goods not be any good, why not just make this a VAT invoice and have done with it?

SeanJames

Re: "this is not a VAT invoice" - why?

Postby SeanJames » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:16 am

Hello,

This is because a taxable person (i.e. Tesco) is only required by law to provide a VAT invoice to another taxable person. They're under no requirement to do so unless you state you are a taxable person.

Cheers
Sean

MikeR371

Re: "this is not a VAT invoice" - why?

Postby MikeR371 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:11 pm

Hi Sean, thanks for the reply. This puzzles me though. Surely it's little more hassle for them to make the invoice VAT compliant, and then they don't have to go to the trouble of sending out a separate VAT invoice when someone requests one? Just seems like a bit of duplicated effort.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”