This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

vat implications on pub purchase for residential use

simba
vat implications on pub purchase for residential use

Postby simba » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:55 pm

i am buying a pub and want to live in it as a house. I therefore do not want to pay vat on the purchase. I may want to reopen it at a future date as a bistro, trading under the vat threshhold. I believe i would have to live in it for a certain length of time to prevent the vat being still applicable?

section 44

Re: vat implications on pub purchase for residential use

Postby section 44 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:01 pm

I may want to reopen it at a future date as a bistro
It doesn't sound like you have the intention of using it as a dwelling (presumably, in any event, the building as a whole cannot be used as a dwelling?)

les35

Postby les35 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:12 pm

Quite apart from any planning applications and change of use approval, the VAT position has to be approached carefully.
If the Vendor has 'opted to tax' the sale of the pub, then you are entitled to have the option disapplied, either in full or in part. A form VAT 1614D is required to be completed and given to the Vendor at an early stage. If the price has been agreed, the Vendor has no obligation to accept the document.
Beware, some Vendor's refuse to accept a VAT 1614D, and will not proceed with the contract.

section 44

Postby section 44 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:17 pm

Beware, some Vendor's refuse to accept a VAT 1614D, and will not proceed with the contract.
Perhaps because of perceived abuse with purchasers incorrectly issuing certificates to disapply the VAT election and the vendor's potential exposure with regards to not accounting for VAT.

Generix

Postby Generix » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:37 pm

i am buying a pub and want to live in it as a house. I therefore do not want to pay vat on the purchase. I may want to reopen it at a future date as a bistro, trading under the vat threshhold. I believe i would have to live in it for a certain length of time to prevent the vat being still applicable?
If it is currently trading as a pub and you continued the trade (at least for a little while) then you could escape the VAT by means of a TOGC (transfer of a going concern)
Do you adore to transfer your artistic and inventive qualities to renovate a part type? Perhaps your friends who tour your sanctuary head remarks about want they could levy you to change their premises.

les35

Postby les35 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:46 pm

but be careful - if you opt to tax (to ensure that the purchase is a TOGC), and then later deregister, there is a 'deemed supply' at the time of deregistration. This means that VAT is payable on the value of the asset at that time. This may not apply, but you should tread very carefully.
Various rules apply to (a) option to tax, (b) TOGC, (c) deregistration; this is not a straight-forward issue. You will need to take advice as soon as possible.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”