This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Joint ownership

Kitty Kat
Joint ownership

Postby Kitty Kat » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:51 pm

Say a company owns a piece of machinery, then say they sell half the machine to someone not for them to use, but for them to later share in profits realised.

Where does the VAT come into it? Is the payment VAT'able? Or the final monies to the other party?
My keeness to show knowledge can sometimes exceed my actual knowledge, therefore treat what I say as advice only.

pawncob

Re: Joint ownership

Postby pawncob » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:09 pm

Pupose of sale doesn't matter, it's a VATable disposal.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Kitty Kat

Postby Kitty Kat » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:36 pm

Pupose of sale doesn't matter, it's a VATable disposal.
I'm glad you said that :)

As a follow on, if the sale was to an overseas EU customer, but the goods never left the UK, would that mean it was a SR transaction (can't zero rate as the goods never cross a border) and the EU customer couldn't reclaim the VAT as they didn't receive the goods (therefore failing the test for recovery)?
My keeness to show knowledge can sometimes exceed my actual knowledge, therefore treat what I say as advice only.

Generix

Postby Generix » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:49 pm

Consider if its a services or goods.

If goods then UK VAT if goods don't move.

If services then use the appropriate place of supply rules, i.e. basic unless an exception applies.
Do you adore to transfer your artistic and inventive qualities to renovate a part type? Perhaps your friends who tour your sanctuary head remarks about want they could levy you to change their premises.

les35

Postby les35 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:55 pm

Where there is not a supply of title and possession, the supply becomes a supply of services. If this is cross-border, then the special 'Place of Supply' rules apply. The place of supply may, therefore, be the Member State where the recipient is established.
VAT Act s5(1), and Sch 4, paras 1 & 2 apply to establish whether there is a supply of services.
(welcome to the fiscal theme park that is VAT!)

Generix

Postby Generix » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:57 pm

Where there is not a supply of title and possession, the supply becomes a supply of services. If this is cross-border, then the special 'Place of Supply' rules apply. The place of supply may, therefore, be the Member State where the recipient is established.
VAT Act s5(1), and Sch 4, paras 1 & 2 apply to establish whether there is a supply of services.
Les Did the hard work for you :D
Do you adore to transfer your artistic and inventive qualities to renovate a part type? Perhaps your friends who tour your sanctuary head remarks about want they could levy you to change their premises.

Kitty Kat

Postby Kitty Kat » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:00 pm

My first thought on finding the goods weren't going anywhere was perhaps it was a service, in which case reverse charges would come into play (I believe). That might actually be good, as without the goods being received by the EU company they wouldn't be able to recover the VAT (right?), but with the reverse charge they could (assuming fully taxable) recover all the VAT making the transaction VAT neutral all round.

Generix

Postby Generix » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:31 am

My first thought on finding the goods weren't going anywhere was perhaps it was a service, in which case reverse charges would come into play (I believe). That might actually be good, as without the goods being received by the EU company they wouldn't be able to recover the VAT (right?), but with the reverse charge they could (assuming fully taxable) recover all the VAT making the transaction VAT neutral all round.
I wouldn't say that not receiving the goods in your local territory specifically precludes input VAT deduction.

In any case it is as you suggest, VAT neutral - as I would go with basic rule applying.

Kitty Kat

Postby Kitty Kat » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:56 am

I wouldn't say that not receiving the goods in your local territory specifically precludes input VAT deduction.
I was always led to believe that HMRC don't let you recover VAT if you never got the goods, perhaps I am reading too much into 'get the goods' and thinking they have to physically have it in their hands.

The client is adamant the overseas company couldn't recover the VAT, and I assumed that was the reason. One to put to the client I suspect.

Generix

Postby Generix » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:28 am

I was always led to believe that HMRC don't let you recover VAT if you never got the goods, perhaps I am reading too much into 'get the goods' and thinking they have to physically have it in their hands.

The client is adamant the overseas company couldn't recover the VAT, and I assumed that was the reason. One to put to the client I suspect.

Maybe they were thinking it was because they were not UK VAT registered?

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”